Can ndiswrapper be included in Fedora????

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 24 00:37:31 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 07:55, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >I cooda sworn it was GPL. It is. Website ays so.
> >-----
> >
> >i am aware of that. that doesnt necessarily make it free software. for
> >example the mp3 decoders like lame are by themselves under a free
> >software license but patents on them override their freeness. in case

I've not heard reports of such, and I'd not expect any issues. NDIS is a
long-standing standard; I used to use NDIS drivers on OS/2 Warp. However, the
spec was developed jointly by MS and 3COM, so who knows?

> >of this wrapper its only useful for working with proprietary drivers.
> >such a piece of code is called "contrib" in debian. its free software
> >which depends on non free software to be usable. similar to java and
> >tomcat for example.

I would expect it to be in he same class as prism54 which will only work with
binary-only firmware. That is in the standard Sarge kernel; I just checked.

> I checked the tarball for ndiswrapper-0.12rc3 and don't see a license
> document in there explicitly saying the software is GPL'ed. In fact I
> don't see any license document there, of any sort.
>
> I also checked the website's "wiki" pages and don't see any licensing
> terms either -- or any statements that this is GPL'd software.

I checked the project page, an that's where I saw "GPL."

--
Cheers
John