yum gripes (Was: Re: yum vs. apt)

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 00:38:03 UTC 2004

Hi

> I always thought of apt as an alternative (to RPM) way of packaging and
> delivering software. I have never used it myself but I understand there
> is some apt-rpm middleware nowadays. I suppose Fedora apt repos use
> RPMs? Anything else would be a mess.

they use rpms of course. its just that the meta data format is
different from yum

> >  It's just a matter of personal preference really.
>
> For some reason I adopted the standard, when it changed from being
> up2date to being yum. I'm not completely happy with yum, however.

Thigs are steadily improving. You can help by filing bug reports and
feature requests to bugzilla.redhat.com. its far better to way to
actually make some progress that no amount of discussions on the
mailing lists would do.

If you want a feature or you have  a bug just do the discussions on
bugzilla.redhat.com. seth vidal (yum developer) usually responds
within a day and gets the problem resolved pretty quickly.

Regards,
Rahul Sundaram