eggcups and g-v-m crashes on login after update

William Lovaton walovaton at yahoo.com.mx
Wed Nov 24 01:03:53 UTC 2004

Hi,

I just made some upgrades yesterday (via yum) and today after boot I
realized that eggcups and g-v-m crashes on login.  I suspect that this
is because HAL is not running.  During boot it says HAL [OK] but there
is no proccess hal in the system (ps -fe | grep -i hal) and when
shutting down it says HAL [FAILED].

When logging in 2 crash window dialogs pop up, one for eggcups and one
for g-v-m.  eggcups insists many times until it completely dissapears.

And maybe because of the lack of HAL, every gnome program that uses the
new File Chooser it just blocks when trying to save or load a file and
the only solution is to kill the app.

Nautilus refuses to start too, so I have no desktop.  It won't start
even in command line.

I switched acpi off in grub and with APM my system did power off when
shutting down but not anymore.

Many many problems just for a simple update.  Any ideas?  everything was
perfect before the updates.

The packages I upgraded yesterday were these:
redhat-menus
gd*
slang*
arts*