yum gripes (Was: Re: yum vs. apt)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 24 01:35:26 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 08:29, Steffen Kluge wrote:
> I always thought of apt as an alternative (to RPM) way of packaging and
> delivering software. I have never used it myself but I understand there
> is some apt-rpm middleware nowadays. I suppose Fedora apt repos use
> RPMs? Anything else would be a mess.

Debian's dpkg is equivalent to rpm; it installs packages, builds packages and
so on.
apt-get is a wrapper for dpkg; it resolves dependancies, ensures you get the
latest versions and generally makes life easier. It's about equivalent to
up2date. Unlike up2date, it's not tied to any proprietary support system.

--
Cheers
John