Server Tools Don't Prompt for Root Password

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Nov 24 03:10:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 08:54:45PM -0500, Randy Chrismon wrote:
> >Might also give a clue.  Try verifying the usermode RPMs.
> >rpm -V usermode
> >rpm -V usermode-gtk
> What am I looking for here? Both are installed; I'll have to do a man to
> find out what the .M....G. means before the listing.

>From the 'rpm' man page -- the "M" means the 'mode' (a.k.a. file
permissions) have changed. And, as the first error message above indicates,
this binary needs to be setuid root -- that is, owned by root and have the
setuid file permission.

Have you run any scripts to "secure" your system? An overzealous [1]
security sweep could very easily choose to remove that bit....

(The "G" is also a little bit disturbing -- it means the group ownership has
changed, and on my system, it's in group "root". Odd for that to change.)

[1] given some definition of "over"