Burning DVD in FC3

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Nov 24 03:23:09 UTC 2004

On 11/23/2004 04:01:58 PM, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2004 05:43, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> > We want to burn the Fedora 3 DVD under FC3. However, the only
> program
> > cited in the instructions (X-CD-Roast) says it can't find the
> > DVD-writer. I saw the waeb page and they have a patch for 2.4.x
> kernels,
> > about SCSI emulation, but I don't see anything for 2.6.x. Does
> anybody
> > has any suggestions?
>
> 2.6 kernels don't use SCSI emulation.

Nitpick point - they can, and AFAIK are the only way to verify the
md5sum of a burned disc.

Interesting though - at least for me, it doesn't always work.
After burning the disk, sometimes using md5sum /dev/scd0 (or using dd
and piping the output to md5sum) fails with the same I/O error that one
_always_ gets with ide burning. It's really annoying. For some reason,
mounting and unmounting the CD usually allows it to verify (with ide-
scsi) but even then not always.

I'm buying an external SCSI burner soon and will see if that is better.
Since I distribute Linux CDR's I really need a reliable (IE script it
and know that an error really is an error) way to test the burn after
the burn. Hopefully going SCSI will do that for me better, and not
waste so much of my time (I rarely get bad burns, but you just never
know)