Newbie question - ftp/http access from Linux box in a windows domain

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Nov 24 04:12:58 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 24.11.2004 schrieb Church, Simon um 2:40:

> I am new to Linux and have just set up a basic installation of Linux on
> a machine in our test lab. Our test lab is a windows domain. The Linux
> box is not part of the domain as a windows machine would be, but I did
> give it a static IP address. This box needs to be able to ftp and http
> out to the internet and it needs to go through our windows 2003 ISA
> proxy server. What do I need to do to make this happen?
> Thanks
>
> Simon Church

The solution depends a bit. Here is what I once answered someone
privately:

Unfortunately there is no central configuration file where to set proxy
addresses globally. Instead the applications have their own settings
inside their configuration files, like lynx, lftp or wget. To set a
http_proxy though I would suggest you create two profile setting files:

1) /etc/profile.d/proxy.sh
export http_proxy=http://host.com:port/
export ftp_proxy=http://host.com:port/
export no_proxy=.domain.com
export HTTP_PROXY=http://host.com:port/
export FTP_PROXY=http://host.com:port/

2) /etc/profile.d/proxy.csh
setenv http_proxy http://host.com:port/
setenv ftp_proxy http://host.com:port/
setenv no_proxy .domain.com
setenv HTTP_PROXY http://host.com:port/
setenv FTP_PROXY http://host.com:port/

There are no duplicate settings but some applications expect capital letter variables, others
lower case. Don't forget to set both profile files chmod +x.

This profile configuration covers the case where you don't need to authenticate against the
proxy. Of course such data should then be set in the profile of the specific user. This is for
bash shell users ~/.bash_profile. For example the http_proxy environment setting looks then like:

http_proxy=http://user:password@host.com:port/
export http_proxy

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 05:12:54 up 4 days, 0 users, load average: 0.46, 0.42, 0.48