Very stupid mistake with fstab-sync

William Lovaton walovaton at yahoo.com.mx
Wed Nov 24 04:40:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

I just made a very stupid mistake of running 'fstab-sync -c', since
there was no 'dynamic' devices attached to my system I just thought it
would be safe.  But I forgot that CDROM (/media/cdrecorder) and floppy
(/media/floppy) was one of this dynamic devices.

Fortunately for me I just backed up my fstab and I could restore it, but
there is still some unwanted behaviour.

When you have no floppy nor CDROM in your drives and you open the
Computer window, do you see the floppy and CDROM icons?  I just get the
normal volume icon for both of them and only when mounting them is when
they change the icon for a floppy or CDROM.  I don't recall the original
behaviour.

I created two extra partitions in fstab: /mnt/c (vfat) and /mnt/media
(ext3) and they were working ok.  but after my stupid mistake they
behave a bit erratic, for example, when I right click the ext3 partition
and click on "Mount volume", it gets mounted (it appears in gnome-
system-monitor) but the state of the icon is not updated and when you
right click on the partition icon it still says "Mount volume" instead
of "Umount volume" and when clicking again it shows a message saying
that the volume is already mounted.  Only after, let's say, mount the
vfat partition or make other kind of change it gets updated and works as
expected.

With the CDROM I have another problem too, sometimes after the CD is
mounted, then right click on it, click on "Eject" and it will umount the
CD but won't get ejected showing the following error: "eject: unable to
eject, last error: Invalid argument".

The CD is umounted but there is no way to eject it, the only way is
logging as root and type 'eject /dev/cdrom', this will eject the CD but
it still shows the same error message in the console.

Please, any help will be appreciated... thanx,

-William