Digital Cameras x USB drive

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Wed Nov 24 05:33:12 UTC 2004

John Summerfield wrote:

>On Wednesday 24 November 2004 01:05, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>

>>Now, after installing FC3, my camera appears as /media/usbdisk, while my
>>usb drive appears as /media/SPGT-5608. Is there anyway I can at least
>>change the names back to "camera" and "usbstick" or "usbdisk"? (I don't
>>care using the /media directory.)
>>

>This inspired me.
>
>I'm running RHEL desktop beta 1.
>
>I unplugged my USB disk from my Ahtlon and plugged it into my test toy.
>
>There was a whirr of disk and dmesg showed the disk was recognised by the USB
>subsytem. Further examination showed /media/usbdisk, and a suitable entry
>in /etc/fstab.
>
>No icon on (KDE) desktop, but that's probably due to preferences.
>
>Unplugged that, plugged in camera.
>Same deal, different options if fstab.
>
>Now, the big test:
>Plug in BOTH.
>[summer at thylacine ~]$ ls -l /media/
>total 32
>drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Nov 23 13:37 cdrom
>drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Nov 23 13:37 idedisk
>drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Nov 24 09:08 usbdisk
>drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Nov 24 09:15 usbdisk1
>[summer at thylacine ~]$
>

>Now, when I plugged this camera into my Mac it automatically started iphoto.
>On ubuntu Linux it started gtk-thumb.
>
>I think RH is lagging here. I can mount stuff and get at my photos, but it
>should be easier.

I absolutely agree with you. However, I must mention that Red Hat 8 did
recognize my camera as "camera" (although only in the name, I had to
muont it and all, just like the usb drive).

As for the icon, in
KDE -> Control Center -> Desktop -> Behaviour -> Device Icons
you can set which device icons should appear in the desktop, but I don't
see any for usbdrive. Do we have to enable icons for all mounted HD
partitions to get the usbdrive icon?

Thanks,
Gustavo.

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student