yum gripes (Was: Re: yum vs. apt)

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 24 08:47:20 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 16:37, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Since I have multiple machines to maintain, I have my own mirror of the
> updates repository and I point yum at that rather than have each machine
> download individually off the Internet. This approach could also help
> you, though you'll most likely be downloading updates you don't need as
> well as the ones that you do need.

A sound alternative is to configure an Apache virtual host to proxy the repo
or mirror and then install/update from that.
It will download needed updates first time they're called for, then serve them
off the mirror.

I was going to say you'll need to clean it up from time to time, but then
again it's not likely to use more than 1 Gb of disk....

--
Cheers
John