Where is the FC3 kernel Source?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 24 13:12:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 01:31, Sam Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 04:40 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Mi, den 24.11.2004 schrieb Sam Williams um 3:24:
> >
> > > I have looked everywhere and have been unable to find the location of
> > > the FC3 kernel source. Dis manage to stumble upon the configs now
> > > located in /boot, but I can't find the source that was used to build any
> > > given FC3 kernel... Any help would be greatly appreciated?
> > >
> > > Sam Williams                                             samurai at acm.org
> >
> > The FC3 release notes will tell you :)
> >
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/
> >
> > (They are too on your hard drive.) As Satish wrote with a big smile,
> > asked and answered numerous times.
>

> Thanks all for your kind and patient responses to my query. As much as I
> would like to take the time to read everything that is released about
> everything in the world, particularly the fledgling Fedora project I
> sadly don't have enough time to do that. Its particularly easy for me to
> get confused when a time honored tradition is changed.
>
> I guess what I found particularly confusing in my search was the fact
> there was no /usr/src/linux, apparently that has changed and there was
> no installable package from either yum or apt that addressed the source
> need. I apologize for not reading the release notes, but I'm in the
> process of trying to use FC for a multi-million dollar, multi-
> architectural aircraft control and simulation environment. So in
> addition to having two corporations, several executive VP's, severe
> deadlines, and insufficient staffing I now must read all the project
> documentation. Whether or not you realize it, changes like this can
> cause great management discomfort over the use of FC.
>
> Anyway, thats my pain, sorry for sharing. Thanks again for your

Sounds like for such an important and expensive project that you would
want to use what you know and what is supported.  This way either you
already know where everything is and how it works or you can call
someone that will have a vested interest in either teaching you or
making it work for you.  If you are familiar with FC2 then that may be a
better choice to use than jumping to FC3.

For a critical short deadline project I would not rely on a newly
released version of Fedora.  There are to many potential pitfalls.  If I
was in your shoes I would be looking at using either RHEL with support
purchased from Red Hat or possibly Solaris 10 with support purchased
from Sun.  (The dtrace feature of Solaris 10 is really neat particularly
if you are optimizing applications and the zones features are really
cool from a security view)

The source packages for the kernel are available.  If you really need
them (which in most cases you won't unless you need to modify something
from the standard kernel) you can use yum to pull the kernel source code
down.

Good luck on your project.

--
Scot L. Harris