Problem with the new kernel upgrade

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 13:21:30 UTC 2004

John Mellor was having difficulty updating his system.

> Here's the output from yum:
[snip]
> Running test transaction:
> Test transaction complete, Success!
> Segmentation fault

and then later

> Just for grins, I did a yum update from the already-downloaded cache,
> and what do you know, it worked:
>
> # rpm -q yum
> yum-2.0.7-1.1
> # yum -d1 -y -C update
> Installed:  kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2.i686
> Updated:  kernel-sourcecode 2.6.9-1.6_FC2.noarch kernel-doc
> 2.6.9-1.6_FC2.noarch
> #
>
> So, what's the difference?  Why does install-from-cache work, and
> install-from-mirror-site not work for both up2date and yum?

Unfortunately, one thing that does trigger segmentation faults is dodgy
memory. And that could lead to "inconsistent results" like the one you
got.

And it's not usually obvious that you've got dodgy memory.

You might want to run memtest86 as a precaution.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "If you make everything a life and death proposition
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | you're going to have problems.  For one thing, you'll