Newbie question - ftp/http access from Linux box in a windows domain

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 13:33:59 UTC 2004

Church, Simon wrote:
> I am new to Linux and have just set up a basic installation of Linux on
> a machine in our test lab. Our test lab is a windows domain. The Linux
> box is not part of the domain as a windows machine would be, but I did
> give it a static IP address. This box needs to be able to ftp and http
> out to the internet and it needs to go through our windows 2003 ISA
> proxy server. What do I need to do to make this happen?

You've been given good advice about the Linux part.

But the Windows side of things might need addressing. These things can
be set up to allow anyone on the local network to access the proxy
(which would be simplest for you), anyone using a particular IP address
to access the proxy, or require either "Basic" or NTLM "Windows
Challenge/Response" per-user authentication. And the combination of
what's allowed is left to the administrator of the ISA server.

Since this is a test lab, it might be practical to change the ISA
settings: this is a political matter for your organisation.

I believe Mozilla has support for the Windows authentication built-in:
it might be easier to test with this.

If you have to go through an NTLM-only proxy, the best way to enable it
for the whole machine is to install a proxy on Fedora that can
authenticate against NTLM, and then send requests through the local
proxy via ISA to the Internet.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Now I've got the bead on you with MY disintegrating
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | gun.  And when it disintegrates, it disintegrates.