Fedora 3 and Matrox G550

Pover, J.P. (John) J.P.POVER at bwd.rws.minvenw.nl
Wed Nov 24 13:55:49 UTC 2004

Dear Reader,

I have a problem setting up a Tyan Thunder K7X Pro with a Matrox G550
videocard with Xorg-X11 as part of Fedora Core 3 (screen is a 19" Iilyama
Pro 452). It used to be a nobrainer and looked very handsome right upto and
including Fedora Core 1 with XFree86. Problem is that the system hangs after
either probing the "Xorg -configure" resulted /root/xorg.conf.new or after
"system-config-display". Finally displayed message is this : "Trying with
Matrox G550-card" or words to that effect. After this it blanks out forcing
a reboot as a result. When switching the driver in the Device-section of
/etc/X11/xorg.conf from "mga" to "vesa" it works but it looks rather lousy
when compared with what it used to look like under XFree86. Strange thing is
that a nearly identical Tyan Thunder K7 Pro with a Matrox G450 works like it
supposed to with FC3/Xorg. I have installed the latest driver supplied by
Matrox (october 2004 : found in mgadriver-4.0.tar.gz) and also FC3/Xorg is
complete and up to date. Flagging off the "dri" option does not make any
difference.

Any experiences with Matrox ?
Any suggestions ?

Regards
John Pover

Why a Matrox G550 in such a system ? Well, that is another story : those of
you who have ever tried to marry a ATI All in Wonder 9800 with a Tyan mobo
probably have the same high bloodpressure as I have.

Disclaimer
Aan dit bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend. Dit bericht is
uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Als u dit bericht per abuis
hebt ontvangen, wordt u verzocht het te vernietigen en de afzender te
informeren. Wij adviseren u om bij twijfel over de juistheid of de
volledigheid van de mail contact met afzender op te nemen.

This message shall not constitute any rights or obligations.
This message is intended solely for the addressee.
If you have received this message in error, please delete it and
notify the sender immediately. When in doubt whether this message
is correct or complete, please contact the sender.