X Applications from remote system

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 24 15:39:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Neil Marjoram wrote:

> No sorry I meant by exporting the DISPLAY on the remote host and using xhost
> on the local host. In some release in the past a bit extra security was
> configured which stopped this by default, nd now I can't remember what it is.

Why not use ssh X forwarding? Its a bit more safer..

To do it the old way - you have to do the following:

1. edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf - and uncomment the option
'DisallowTCP=true' - and restart gdm

2. Make sure your firewall doesn't block port '6000' (perhaps
this can be done with system-config-security-level)

Satish