Serial modem not working after FC3 boot

Chuck_Sterling csterlin at zianet.com
Wed Nov 24 15:54:29 UTC 2004

I have a USR serial modem which worked under FC1 and FC2, but FC3 has a
problem with it. After boot, /dev/modem does not exist, and KPPP fails.
Turning off the modem and running kudzu removes the modem configuration.
Turning it back on and rerunning kudzu restores the configuration and the
/dev/modem device, after which KPPP works correctly.

Has this issue been resolved, other than with manual fiddling like I do
now? I have found discussion on this issue but no automated fix. I also
find no related bug on bugzilla, but may have missed all discussion on any
such fix.

If there is a solution, please point me to it...

Best regards,
Chuck Sterling