Gmail account and this mailinglist

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Nov 24 16:39:28 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 24.11.2004 schrieb Aleksandar Milivojevic um 15:33:

> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > I am receiving more and more
> > answers to my replies to Gmail account users directly to my personal
> > address, rather than the mail should have been addressed to the list.
>
> You can set your preferences so that list doesn't send you a copy if it
> detects your address in To: or Cc:.  Of course, this isn't compatible
> with any form of filtering you might have, but will avoid duplicates.
>
> Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic at pbl.ca>    Pollard Banknote Limited

Hi Aleksandar,

thanks for your reply to this topic. It is not that I am getting
duplicates. My mail server does prevent duplicates were they appear. But
duplicates aren't produced in this cases where I tried to put the focus
on - as Satish Balay did before, he first mentioned the gmail reply-to
topic if I remember correctly. I get the mail only once: to my personal
address and not by list subscription.

Hope to make it a bit clearer again:
1) gmail account user -> Fedora mailing list
   -- reply-to address contains gmail address + Fedora list address
2) Fedora list subscriber -> reply to the list mail
  -- causes mail addressed to gmail account user + Fedora list
3) gmail account user gets reply and reacts with another reply
  -- NOW the point: often enough they reply to the mail they did not get
by list but by direct personal reception
  -- mail goes to replier (like me) and bypasses the list

I do not blame anyone sending me personal mail. Feel free to contact me
by private mail if you want to communicate about something which is not
for public.

My dilemma with above drafted scenario:
1) Is the mail which reaches me personal intended to be personal? Often
I can not really judge. Mostly I suspect it is not intended, but I can
not be sure
2) If I feel the mail should be a list mail: what shall I do? Shall I
forward it to the list without asking the sender? (I do not like that
idea much) Shall I ask the sender? (Makes it complicated) Shall I
continue with conversion with private mail?

I like to help where I may be able to and to discuss Fedora related
topic. It is just that the automatic reply-to address insertion by Gmail
makes some users not recognizing (when not knowing or not paying
attention) that they do not answer a list mail but point their
discussion add to a private address.

Regards to all. Again, this is not complaint against anyone mailing me
directly. Only the try to bring the fact to attention and that Gmail
users can have it in mind.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 17:39:23 up 4 days, 12:26, load average: 0.11, 0.14, 0.13