command line applications don't handle accented characters well

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 18:10:20 UTC 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:00:25 +0000, James Wilkinson
<james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Paul Tomblin wrote:
> > Before "upgrading" to Fedora Core 3 from RedHat 9,
> > termcap/terminfo/ncurses applications handled accented characters
> > well.  But now, they're a mish-mash.

> It sounds like you've got UTF-8 issues.
>
> The SSH protocol doesn't really have support for different character
> sets on either end. Can you check what LANG and LC_ are on the various
> boxes?

Oh, well spotted sir!  On the RedHat 9 box, LANG is set to "en_US",
and on the Fedora box it's set to "en_US.UTF8".  If I do the command
"LANG=en_US mutt", it displays everything right.

Should I just blindly force the LANG environment variable to en_US in
my .profile, or is there a better way to configure this on a system
wide basis?

--
 "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and