Where are we going in the Fedora development?

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Nov 24 21:37:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 01:00:38PM -0800, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-24-11 at 10:07 -0600, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > Are changes being made for good reason or just to be different?
>
> > In the back of my mind I would like Windows users to switch to Linux seeing
> > it can be presented in as friendly appearance as Windows is to them.
>
> Well, let's see... Every time I upgraded to a new version of Windows or
> Office, I had to search around for stuff that had moved somewhere else
> (even though the functionality hadn't changed).
>
> I understand your concerns, but I don't think the comparison to Windows
> helps your argument. :-)

The comparison to Windows is from a cosmetic point of view not in
order to say the windows look is ideal. The point is that we believe
that Linux is a better product underneath but its continued existence
depends on attracting users who are co-opted to use Windows by
agreements between Microsoft and hardware manufacturers.
On the other hand a precious responder correctly pointed out that the
look and feel of FC3 is a result of Gnome developers not Fedora
Developers. Therefore my complaint is misplaced.

...I would go so far as to suggest that, were it not for our ego and
concern to be different, the African apes would be included in our
family, the Hominidae.
- Richard Leakey
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science