kernel-2.6.9-1.6_FC2 boot failure where kernel-2.6.9-1.3_FC2 works

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Thu Nov 25 01:36:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 16:11 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Ricardo Veguilla wrote:
> > Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> >>  If you ever change your hardware configuration (how often does that
> >> happen?  once every couple of years?
> >
> > Let me see, everytime a new a new Fedora, Suse, Slackware ( and now
> > Ubuntu too)  is released.
>
> So you change your hardware each time there's new Linux distro release?
>   May I humbly suggest donating at least some of that money to my bank
> account? ;-)

Change my hardware configuration doesn't necessarily mean changing (or
adding hardware).

> >> plus hd* names do not change when you add/remove disks)
> >
> > Really? and when you add/remove partitions?
>
> Partitions are also static (if we are talking physical partitions).
> /dev/hda2 is always whatever is defined in slot 2 of partition table on
> your primary master IDE HD.  The only ones that do change are logical
> partitions (hda5 and up).

exactly.

>  Chances are that Linux dedicated drive will
> have partitions needed for booting on physical partitions.

Well, if I were talking about a Linux dedicated drive (and I guess you
mean dedicated to a particular linux distribution) why would I need to
change anything? Obviously if you are dealing with an static setup,
there is no need for labels. When you start changing stuff and moving it
around is when labels become really useful, I have a linux dedicated
drive with several linux distributions in different partitions and using
labels really simplifies working with them.

Regards,
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>