BOOBY TRAPS?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 25 02:52:09 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 21:15, Ed Wilts, RHCE wrote:
>On Wednesday 24 November 2004 17:57, Arthur Stephens wrote:
>>Doing a server new install yesterday.
>>Came in this morning and there was this message on the console of
>> my fedora3 box
>>
>>BOOBY TRAPS
>>INIT: version 2.85 reloading
>>
>>>Any idea what this is?
>
>The string appears in the man page for hosts.allow.  Were you
> browsing man pages earlier?
>
>--
>Ed Wilts, RHCE
>Mounds View, MN, USA
>mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org
>Member #1, Red Hat Community Ambassador Program

Thank you Ed, I wasn't even aware there was a manpage for those two
files, and under BOOBY TRAPS was a neat example of howto nail one
facet of a breakin attempt.  Not that it will get used all that
often, only 2 attempts to get into my firewall box have been logged
in 18 months.   The first one wrecked a cheap Seimans router but
didn't get past portsentry/tcpwrappers, and the other got nailed by
portsentry writing an instant DROP rule to iptables, but didn't seem
to hurt the LinkSys router I'd installed after the seimans died.

Funny thing is, both attacks came from the main DNS I use at
verizon.net.  Go figure.  I 'spose they're running some variant of
winderz for a server.

Suitable (un-acknowledged of course, wouldn't want to legitemize it
with a response you know) nastygrams sent to the admins of course :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)