Serial terminal emulator

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Nov 25 03:43:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 08:58:37PM -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 18:41, fredex wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 09:07:56PM +0100, Jakub Roguski wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > > I very often have to configure devices, which use serial port and null-modem
> > > cable for communication. I'm looking for the most comfortable solution of
> > > VT100 terminal emulator running over serial port on FC3. I tried minicom, but
> > > would like something easier to use. Any idea? Maybe a way to use linux
> > > terminal together with serial port? Or simple VT100 emulator using serial?
> >
> > I seemto recall having found that PUTTY has a linux version. But whether
> > that is true or not, the linux console is more or less a superset of
> > vt100 (as long as you don't want the keys to work like vt100 keys),
> > and the xterm also works reasonably in lieu of vt100.
> >
> > Fred
>
> Why not use kermit?  I believe it has good vt100 support and is part of
> FC2 and probably FC3.

Kermit is great, I use it all the time.

But it is not a terminal emulator. Well, C-kermit isn't. K95 is and MS-Kermit
is, but C-kermit is not. You get ONLY whatever the capabilities are of
the terminal you're actually using when you run C-kermit, no more, no less.
It is usually possible to make do that way, but sometimes you have a remote
app/system that demands some known terminal type other than the one you
have.

Fred

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding