Multibooting

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Nov 25 09:49:14 UTC 2004

Wilson Woon wrote:
> I'm trying to install Windows XP, Fedora Core 3 and RedHat Linux 9 all
> in one hard disk. At first I installed Windows XP and then Fedora Core
> 3. I use the Grub loader to load both of them. However, when it comes
> to RedHat 9, I'm not sure how to do? How do I configure the Grub
> loader so that it will detect RedHat 9 as well? Do I need to install
> the Grub loader when installing RedHat 9 since  already have one?
> How do I solve this problem? Please help. I don't mind reformatting
> the whole HDD if necessary...

I'd get RH9 to install grub into its /boot or root partition rather than the
Master Boot Record (MBR). Then, add an entry to your FC3 grub.conf to
chain-load the RH9 version of grub:

title Red Hat Linux 9
         rootnoverify (hd1,0)   <- partition RH9 grub is installed in
         chainloader +1

Whilst this adds an extra menu level (you have to go through the FC3 grub menu
to get to the RH9 grub menu), it will only ever have to be done once. Kernel
updates in each OS will cause the right entries to be made in the appropriate
grub.conf file and it'll "just work". If you manually add the RH9
kernel/initrd entries to your FC3 grub.conf then you save the extra menu level
but you'll have to fix the manual entries each time you update the RH9 kernel.

Paul.