real player 10 and nvidia NFORCE2 sound chipset

Carlo Orecchia carlo at numb.darktech.org
Thu Nov 25 10:07:14 UTC 2004

> Carlo Orecchia wrote:
>> i have problems using real player 10 with the nforce sound chipset. If I
>> use a sound card like a creative pci 64 everything works fine. But with
>> the onboard sound chipset real player hangs at some point when
>> reproducing
>> a file. The audio stops and the image is played very very slow.
>> Does anybody have any clue why this is happening?
>
> Can you take a look at the top program (from the shell) while you're
> using "Real Player"?
>
> I'd be interested to note what happens to the CPU percentages: does the
> system spend a long time under "sy"stem, or is it all "us"er?
>
> Also keep an eye on exactly which programs are taking up system time.
>
> Are you playing "Real Media", or are you playing MP3s?
>
> James.
>
> --
> E-mail address: james | The camel has a single hump;
> @westexe.demon.co.uk  | The dromedary two;
>                       | Or else the other way around.
>                       | I'm never sure.  Are you?  -- Ogden Nash
>
> --

this is my ps aux

carlo     8376  0.0  0.1  4376 1056 ?        S    22:43   0:00 /bin/sh
/usr/bin/realplay
carlo     8381  1.3  1.7 55672 13296 ?       Sl   22:43   0:01
/usr/local/bin/realplay.bin
carlo     8383  0.0  0.6 22200 5220 ?        S    22:43   0:00
/usr/local/bin/realplay.bin
carlo     8384  0.0  0.6 22200 5220 ?        S    22:43   0:00
/usr/local/bin/realplay.bin

i play real media and mp3s. For both the problem is the same. Whem i play
mp3 is very low and the commands are executed seconds after.
I don't understand why if i change sound card i have no problems.
Could it be because the sound chipset i use has very poor drivers? I can't
mix channels for example and so i can't execute 2 or more sounds at the
same time.

thanks