yum vs. apt

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 10:22:13 UTC 2004

John Summerfield wrote:

>  On Thursday 25 November 2004 13:49, Prushinsky Yuri wrote:
>
> > http://zorked.net/smart/
>

>  What happened to kpackage? I looked at it on Debian a while ago and
>  it was looking somewhat respectable.

There's also a program called "Kynaptic" (yes, a KDE Synaptic clone).  I
played with it on SuSE for a while last month.  It's not as feature-rich
as Synaptic.

Kpackage rawks my sox.  For just plain old GUI rpm installs I much
prefer it to the GNOME-based Fedora GUI.  Unfortunately Fedora sees no
need to include it in their KDE distro. And I discovered by accident (as
you state) that Kpackage has a nice interface with APT as well.

I've gotten around the "missing" KDE apps by using the KDE packages from
kde-redhat.org instead.

"ftp://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt kde-redhat/fedora/3 stable testing"

....is a nice recent addition to my apt sources.list file. :-)

There are several KDE niceties I have now that I didn't have previously.

Scott