Bios does not support boot from cd

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Nov 25 10:23:18 UTC 2004

Sander Hartveld wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>     I have a old pentium 133 Mhz with 80MB Ram wich does not support boot
> from
>     cdrom. I do have a floppy drive  , a non bootable CD-rom drive and 2 GB
> hard
>     drive. How to start my installation now?
>     I do have redhat 9 installed.

Take the initrd.img and vmlinuz files from the images/pxeboot directory of
your install media and copy them to /boot of your Red Hat 9 installation.

If you have no separate /boot partition, add the following entry to your
/etc/grub.conf:

title Fedora Core Install/Upgrade
         root (hd0,0) <- use the same value here as for your existing entries
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=8192
         initrd /boot/initrd.img

If you have a separate /boot partition, add the following entry to your
/etc/grub.conf:

title Fedora Core Install/Upgrade
         root (hd0,0) <- use the same value here as for your existing entries
         kernel /vmlinuz ramdisk_size=8192
         initrd /initrd.img

Then, reboot and you should be able to boot into the installer.

Paul.