PHP-4.3.9-3 Recompile Fails

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Nov 25 11:00:17 UTC 2004

Lummoxx wrote:
> Not sure what here is part of the error, so including it all.  :)
> Error is on Line 6002
> --copy-->
> | /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
> | #ifdef __cplusplus
> | extern "C"
> | #endif
> | /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
> |    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
> | char curl_easy_perform ();
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> | curl_easy_perform ();
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:29100: result: no
> configure:29120: error: There is something wrong. Please check
> config.log for more information.

Can you try compiling this test program on its own so see can see what the
problem actually is?

Copy out every line after "failed program was:" in config.log for this curl
test that starts with "| " and put it in a file testprog.c

Remove the "| " from the start of each line of testprog.c using your favourite
editor. So you should end up with something like this:

<-- start of testprog.c -->
/* confdefs.h.  */
/* various definitions */
/* end confdefs.h.  */

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char curl_easy_perform ();
int
main ()
{
curl_easy_perform ();
   ;
   return 0;
}
<-- end of testprog.c -->

Then try compiling this test program and see what output you get:

$ gcc -o testprog testprog.c -lcurl

Do you see any error messages?

I think it's important for you to figure out what the problem is because it
may come back to bite you again in the future.

Paul.