Rescue HD setup procedure

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 17:48:07 UTC 2004

Mitsuho Iizuka wrote (on top of Paul's post!):
> Do you mean it's a grub bootloader crush in MBR ? If so, it is worst
> case. In this case, I will borrow old FC1 CD-ROMs, then boot from it
> and grub setup to write bootloader in MBR. And I have 2 /boot area,
> such as /dev/hda2 (rescue & fresh) and /dev/hdb1 (fc3). I think
> /dev/hdb1 has highest crush probability.

Um. Having the MBR get screwed up is one thing. But grub does rely on
the right files being on the right part of the disk for it to load the
second stage with the menu.

On the other hand, one can also install grub to a floppy. This then gets
around both MBR and primary /boot filesystem failure (assuming there's a
kernel safely on the "rescue" partition).

James.

--
E-mail address: james | They say that every cloud has a silver lining, which
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | must be a bit alarming for airline pilots...