success/failure stories with FC3 on inspiron 8600/9200s

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Thu Nov 25 18:29:59 UTC 2004

>   i've poked around on the linux-dell-laptops list but the archives
> don't have a whole lot on FC3 on the higher-end, newer inspirons.  i'm
> thinking of upgrading to either the 8600 or 9200 so ... anyone have
> stories to tell, good or bad?
>
>   specifically, i'm interested in how well FC3 plays with the
> following features of those models:
>
>   WUXGA (1920x1200) display
>   128MB ATI mobility radeon 9700
>   intel or dell internal wireless (802.11a/b/g)
>   dell truemobile 300 bluetooth internal card
>

>From what I've seen of Intel cards, you're on pretty safe ground for
support.  But the recent Dell TrueMobile cards I've seen are made by
Broadcom.  There are no Linux drivers, and Broadcom has no intention of
making any.

I've found that they don't work at all on Linux, and work pretty badly
on Windows too.  Sometimes, even on the same table with my wireless AP,
the internal Dell card won't connect.  I've been disappointed.

Make certain you know what you're going to get when you buy the system.
Different TrueMobile cards can work just fine.

I can't comment on the Bluetooth cards; haven't used them.

Erik