I can't burn CDs anymore (was Re: how to download kde....).

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Thu Nov 25 23:09:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 15:34:47 -0700, Scott wrote:

> > > On a related note, suddenly I can't burn with anything, even just
> > > plain ole command cdrecord....
> >

> >  Which version of Fedora Core? Which kernel version? Which package
> >  version/release of k3b?
> >

> I knew I should have saved this question for later. :-)
>
> I was gonna try to research it first before asking here.
>
> Oh well, I guess now is as good a time as any...
>
> I'm running:
>
> kernel-2.6.9-1.678_FC3
> cdrecord-2.01.1-5
> k3b-0.11.17-0.1.3.kde
> nautilus-cd-burner-2.8.3-6

It's usually a bad idea to upgrade Fedora Core packages with external
updates. Better keep FC3's k3b package, so you benefit from patches,
integration work and security/bug-fix updates.

> The problem isn't K3b or Nautilus, it's either cdrecord, the Kernel
> and/or some configuration I managed to mess up. :-)
>
> It worked fine a week ago.... I burned CDs both from Nautilus and with K3b.
>
> Also here is what happens when I try to use cdrecord by itself (this is
> how I know k3b isn't the problem).

To see where k3b fails, k3b's internal debug output might give a clue.
k3b offers debug output, so it can be looked at or saved to disk.

> [root at localhost ISOs]# cdrecord dev=1.2.0 SUSE-Linux-9.2-LiveCD-Gnome.iso

You should be able to use: -dev=/dev/cdwriter

dev=1.2.0 SCSI-style notation looks wrong (I'm not sure whether dots
instead of commata are allowed), in particular because...

> 1,0,0 100) 'TOSHIBA ' 'DVD-ROM SD-M1202' '1020' Removable CD-ROM
> 1,1,0 101) 'SONY ' 'CD-RW CRX100E ' '1.0m' Removable CD-ROM
> 1,2,0 102) *

...a device at 1,2,0 is not available.

> So what do I do next? :-)

What have you changed after the first week when it worked?  Hopefully
you didn't load any IDE/ATAPI SCSI emulation kernel modules.

Have you modified /etc/cdrecord.conf?

--
Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux 2.6.9-1.681_FC3
loadavg: 1.11 1.14 1.07