what did it become the syslog file in fedora

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Nov 26 02:06:17 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 26.11.2004 schrieb AlilouLinux um 2:51:

> In order to see the errors messages, in the latest versions of Redhat we
> edit the file "syslog".

You mean /etc/syslog.conf to configure the syslogger?

> In fedora (FC1 and FC3) when I use the following command "tail -f
> /var/log/syslog", the system told me that the file "/var/log/syslog" does'nt
> existe.

I don't know which Red Hat release you feel to remember, but it was
always /var/log/messages as long as I can think of (Red Hat Linx 5.2).

> I can also see the "/var/log/messages" (and dmesg?? and syslog-ng??), but
> does Fedora  use another thing to see the log messages (errors)? if it is
> the case what does it use?

The syslog daemon logs specific system messages into file
/var/log/messages. The /var/log/dmesg file is not filled by the syslog
daemon. syslog-ng - which is a different syslogger - is not part of
Fedora.

I don't exactly understand what you mean with "see the log messages".
Messages are logged. The get into log files. You can have a look at
these log files with tools like tail, less, more or for the dmesg log
file dmesg.

> Aliloulinux

What is your question / probem?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 03:05:48 up 5 days, 21:53, load average: 1.47, 0.51, 0.35