OpenSSH and Chroot Support

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Nov 26 12:40:38 UTC 2004

On Friday 26 November 2004 10:41, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Probably what you
> want to allow users to securely access their personal web home while not
> being able to travel through most of your system.

I've incidentally set up ssh just that way on my Drake box I discovered sshd
was not installed (oh really!), but entirely coincidently I had an unpacked
Sarge filesystem there complete with sshd installed.

I chrooted into it and started ssh.

You can acutally use any system this wayt - it's a little extravagant in its
use of disk space, but if you could countenance a minimal install of FC3 plus
ssh in it, it's pretty easy to set it up.

You could have the small system unpacked (or mounted) at
/websites
and the client sites in
/websites/home/

Conceivably you could make a compressed ISO using mkzftree and mkisofs and
loop-mount it on /websites then mount the client disk space on /websites/home

need I mention ISO file systems are read-only?

--
Cheers
John