yum problem on updating from fc2 to fc3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Nov 26 17:44:56 UTC 2004

ashwin kesavan iyengar wrote:
> Hi,
>       I was using yum on fc2 it went fine even after editing yum.conf
> (so that i could choose a mirror site). Today i ran yum for the first
> time after upgrading to  fc3, it showed me the following error msg.
> ------start err msg--------
> not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - #
> not using ftp, http[s], or file for repos, skipping - #
> Setting up Repo:  fedora-extras-stable
> Error accessing file for config file:////etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-devel.repo
> Error accessing file for config
> file:////etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo
> Error accessing file for config file:////etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
> Error accessing file for config file:////etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo
> Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: fedora-extras-stable
> failure: repodata/repomd.xml from fedora-extras-stable: [Errno 256] No
> more mirrors to try.
> ------end err msg------

yum has changed in FC3. The idea is that each repo has its own file in
/etc/yum.repos.d and that /etc/yum.conf just has a few options in it that
apply to all repos, with no actual repos included there.

You should find a /etc/yum.conf.rpmnew file in the new format.

Try this:

# mv /etc/yum.conf /etc/yum.conf.old
# mv /etc/yum.conf.rpmnew /etc/yum.conf

> my yum.conf is as follows:
>
> -------start  yum.conf-------
>
> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
> reposdir=/etc/yum.repos.d/
> debuglevel=2
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> pkgpolicy=newest
> distroverpkg=fedora-release
> assumeyes=1
> exactarch=1
> diskspacecheck=1
> retries=1
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl=http://mymirror.asiaosc.org/redhat/fedora/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
>         http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/redhat/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/os/
> gpgcheck=1
>
> [updates-released]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
> baseurl=http://ftp.iitm.ac.in/fedora/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>   #changed this today & commented 2 lines below
>        # http://mymirror.asiaosc.org/redhat/fedora/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>        # http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/redhat/fedora/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
> gpgcheck=1

The base and updates-released repos should now be defined in the fedora.repo
and fedora-updates.repo files in the /etc/yum.repos.d directory.

> [fedora-extras-stable]
> name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - extra stable
> baseurl=http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.stable
> 	http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/pub/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/RPMS.stable
> gpgcheck=1

Fedora Extras does not yet have an FC3 repo. See for yourself by visiting one
of the repos you have configured above:

http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/pub/fedora.us/fedora/fedora/3/i386/RPMS.stable

Paul.