Any problem with TIFF image Format for Linux ?

Parameshwara Bhat pbhat at ongc.net
Fri Nov 26 19:04:10 UTC 2004

Hello List,

Here I have a technical drawing sent in tiff format from a vendor with
a few pages. I have tried opening this file with kview,kuickshow,
GQview,Gnome Image Viewer,gThumb,and most venerable GIMP. But none of
them can display it satisfactorily. The moment this file is opened,I
can see frentic hard disk operation (as indicated by LED),freezing of
desktop,mouse and other applications. Finally when opened, navigation
repeats the effect.

This file is opened and slide showed in preview - effortlessly under
Windows XP.

I have tried opening the File in above aplications under Fedora,Suse
linux, Knoppix with invariably the same result.

Is it that this format is particularly disliked by Linux OSes? Or what
else could be wrong with the file ?

Thanking in advance,

Parameshwara Bhat