Assertion error installing FC3

liguorid at albany.edu liguorid at albany.edu
Fri Nov 26 21:52:15 UTC 2004

> I am upgrading a FC2 to FC3 and using a 350 mhz Asus P2B motherboard with
> an
> IBM IBM-DTLA-305030 disk (30 gig drive).
>
> When I try to upgrade it looks like the upgrade tries to read the disk
> geometry and then gives an error :
>
> Assertion(heads>0) at disk_dos.c: 485 in function probe_partion_for_geom()
> failure.
>
> Has anyone else run into this problem with upgrading ????
> Or does anyone have a solution to this problem.
>
> --

I had a similar problem with a fresh install, per my earlier post, to
which (I think) Wong Kwok-hon responded (thanks!)  However in my case
continuing to hit cancel whenever the error occurred eventually led me to
a point  where the  installation just quit.   This was  an installation
attempting to use my FC2 partitions, and I also tried deleting all the
partitions on the drive and starting from scratch, still no go.  So I
restored my backups and am now back on FC2.  It's now not clear to me
whether the problem that finally halts me is the same problem as earlier.
I'll report further when I get back home to my computer.

David Liguori