Problems For Someone Been Away Too Long

linux@port76 linux at port76.com
Sat Nov 27 01:11:32 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

just downloaded and installed FC3 on an IBM ThinkPad X31 after using
RedHat and other distros on/off for >10 years. Unfortunately I've been
away from RH for a real long time and have noticed some weird problems
that I have been unable to find fixes for.

1) During installation Anaconda reports an I/O error for a X.org file
from CD2. Think it was error 5... Is this at all important or just
cosmetic? I have tried MD5SUM/Linux Mediacheck and all tests are passed
also tried downloading again (different servers) but it's made no
difference.

2)I am unable to spot a GUI RPM installer that's a part of FC3. Is there
not one? How about all the all Red Hat sys admin extra tools?

3)I have decided to use KDE instead of GNOME... How can KDE be made the
default for a session so I don't have to change at each login?

TIA

Lalit