Problems For Someone Been Away Too Long

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Nov 27 01:27:29 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 27.11.2004 schrieb linux at port76 um 2:11:

> just downloaded and installed FC3 on an IBM ThinkPad X31 after using
> RedHat and other distros on/off for >10 years. Unfortunately I've been
> away from RH for a real long time and have noticed some weird problems
> that I have been unable to find fixes for.

The list archive is a good place to find answers to many questions. Also
see

www.fedorafaq.org
www.fedoranews.org

> 1) During installation Anaconda reports an I/O error for a X.org file
> from CD2. Think it was error 5... Is this at all important or just
> cosmetic? I have tried MD5SUM/Linux Mediacheck and all tests are passed
> also tried downloading again (different servers) but it's made no
> difference.

The package install succeeded in second or third try? Your information
is a bit too less precise to give a final answer.

> 2)I am unable to spot a GUI RPM installer that's a part of FC3. Is there
> not one? How about all the all Red Hat sys admin extra tools?

system-config-packages

But I would suggest to use the online tools yum or up2date. For yum
there is a GUI frontend available called yumi. There is too apt-rpm with
the GUI frontend called synaptic.

> 3)I have decided to use KDE instead of GNOME... How can KDE be made the
> default for a session so I don't have to change at each login?

switchdesktop KDE

> Lalit

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 02:27:26 up 6 days, 21:14, load average: 0.05, 0.17, 0.22