Where are we going in the Fedora development?

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat Nov 27 14:22:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 08:54:13AM +0000, Alan Peery wrote:
> William Hooper wrote:
>
> >akonstam at trinity.edu said:
> >

> >>My reaction to having changes made in resolv.conf disappear after a
> >>reboot was not a positive one. Luckily I had a hint of why this was
> >>happening in a previous posting.
> >>

> >I don't believe anything has changed WRT resolv.conf.  Perhaps you can
> >provide more info.
> >

> This sounds like one of your interfaces is configured with DHCP and it
> is adding the DNS settings received in the response to /etc/resolv.conf.
I don't that is true. There is a copy of resolv.conf as well as other
network related files in a directory in the /etc/sysconfig directory
true is a directory called defaults. As soon as I put my corrections
to resolv.conf in the file there I had no more troubles with the
/etc/resolv.conf changing after a reboot.

The language provides a programmer with a set of conceptual tools; if these are
inadequate for the task, they will simply be ignored.  For example, seriously
restricting the concept of a pointer simply forces the programmer to use a
vector plus integer arithmetic to implement structures, pointer, etc.  Good
design and the absence of errors cannot be guaranteed by mere language
features.
-- Bjarne Stroustrup, "The C++ Programming Language"
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.