LCD Monitors and Fedora

William M. Quarles quarlewm at jmu.edu
Sat Nov 27 15:01:05 UTC 2004

Jim Higson wrote:
> On Saturday 27 Nov 2004 10:00, Volker Kindermann wrote:
>
>>Hi Patrick,
>>

>>>I am about to dive into the LCD Monitor world and I was curious how many
>>>of you use LCD Monitors with FC3?
>>
>>I'm using it sometimes with a Samsung SyncMaster 191T.
>>

>>>Electronics L1710BK 17" LCD Monitor.  I noticed that this model was not
>>>in the list of monitors to choose from in the list in Display Settings.
>>>Most likely it would be a Generic LCD Monitor I would have to choose.
>>>Now, would I be at any disadvantage by choosing this?  Every CRT Monitor
>>>I have had has always been recognized and I have never had to use a
>>>Generic setting.  So, just curious if I would be better off looking for
>>>a different model or is choosing Generic perfectly alright?  Thank you
>>>for your time.
>>
>>I've never had problems with my SyncMaster. Not with Linux, nor with
>>OpenBSD or FreeBSD. The only thing I consider important is to get the
>>Monitor frequencies from your vendor (mostly mentioned in technical
>>specs). With these it is easy to tweak your xorg.conf so that it will
>>work just fine with your LCD.
>

> While you may have to do this, almost all monitors send the info to X wia EDID
> these days, so I'd see if it didn't work first before bothering.
>
> I've used Fedora from FC1 to 3 with three different TFTs from Samsung and one
> from Benq without any problems.
>
> In most cases a monitor isn't a device that needs be explicitly supported,
> there's a standard between vid card and display and as long as both devices
> implement it properly, there's not much to worry about.

Caveat:  While the installation program correctly detected my frequency
range, it picked the highest vertical frequency that it supported, which
was not actually the optimum vertical frequency for my monitor's
display.  I had to manually alter the frequency setting.  Some monitors
actually only support one vertical frequency.  LCD monitors are like
little computers of their own, and my experience has been that they
don't burn out like a CRT will if driven at the wrong frequency; they
just won't display.

Hope that helps,
William