How to configure CUPS

VJ vj at vijaygill.homelinux.net
Sat Nov 27 15:08:41 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jay Moore" <jaymo at mail.bokler.com>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2004 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: How to configure CUPS

> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 18:53, VJ wrote:
>
>> He he he. This proves I am more than half brain dead :)
>>
>> I used it once and the moment it tried asking about the devices (printer,
>> jetdirect etc. ) I thought I was doing something stupid. I tried and it
>> worked.
>>

> Hmmm... guess I'm super-dense, but I can't see how to do this, even
> after the benefit of your mistake.
>
> I start the app (System Settings-> Printing), select "New", and get to
> the point where I'm asked to select printer mfr. and model. I expected
> to find a "Print to PDF" item in the list, but there is  no such item!
> Where did I fall off the boat?
>
> Another thing that confuses me: When I select Preferences->Printing
> Manager, the list presented includes "Print to File (PDF)".
>
> I'm sure this all makes perfect sense somehow, but I am struggling to
> see how this fits together... can someone enlighten me?
>
> Thnx,
> Jay
>

> --

After a good night sleep, I think I can help now :)
start your cups and cups-config-daemon services (and also enable then using
ntsysv so that they come up after next reboot also). run lynx
http://localhost:631
i.e. connect localhost on port 631 where cups provides web based
administration. Look for manage printers and since there are no existing
printers, you will have to add one. Adda printer calls cups-pdf and then
when you move ahead by clicking on continue, you will be presented by list
of printers, this is where you will find Virtual PDF printer thingy.

HTH.

VJ