Evolution 2.0 "Just Doesn't Work"; will not send

Erik Hemdal ehemdal at townisp.com
Sat Nov 27 18:39:41 UTC 2004

Situation:  Fresh install of FC3, plus all updates on Dell Latitude D600
(Pentium 4, Intel 855 chipset)

Problem:  Evolution refuses to send email; receives messages just fine.

Debugging steps:

Confirmed "server setup" with ISP.
No errors in any logs at all.
Confirmed that this setup works on an FC1 machine (works OK).
Verified that this hardware sends correctly (same laptop booted into
Windows XP -- no problem)
Attempted to adjust all possible authentication methods in Evolution (no
success).
Disabled iptables and SELinux controls - no joy.
Finally installed Thunderbird Mail: works perfectly.

I installed from healthy CD's and had no errors during installation.
Evolution 1.4 is just fine as well.  I didn't find anything in the FC3
release notes, but I might have missed something.

I admit it got pretty late last night, so I probably missed something.
Anyone seen an issue like this?  I've never seen a client simply refuse
to work without any errors/log messages/etc.

Erik