Cannot open remote GUI with Fedora 3

Jinming Xu cybermanxu at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 27 22:58:22 UTC 2004

>From: Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>
>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: Cannot open remote GUI with Fedora 3
>Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 04:59:47 +0100
>
>Am Mi, den 24.11.2004 schrieb Jinming Xu um 4:50:
>
> > I just installed FC3 on my machine and encountered a problem in opening
> > remote GUI. I attempted to run some programs with GUI on a remote
>machine
> > after I connected to it with SSH from my local FC3 machine. But the GUI
> > cannot be displayed on my local machine. As usual I firstly ran "xhost
> > +remotemachine" on my local machine.  Then I logged into the remote
>machine
> > and ran "setenv DISPLAY localmachine:0.0" there before I attempted to
>run
> > the GUI program.  This all worked well with my previous FC2.  But
>somehow
> > it's no longer working with FC3.  Are there any tricks with this?  Or is
> > there a bug with FC3 on this issue?
>
> > Jinming
>
>No expert needed: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/
>   --> read about the OpenSSH changes!
>
>In addition see the OpenSSH FAQ:
>
>http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#3.13
>
>Alexander
>

>--
>Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | new address - new key: 0xB366A773
>legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html
>Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
>Serendipity 04:59:32 up 3 days, 23:47, load average: 0.05, 0.45, 0.55
><< signature.asc >>
>--

Alexander,

Thanks a lot for your information.  The problem has been solved after
reading the documentation you gave.  In addition, I found DISPLAY of remote
host needs not to be set anymore.  Actually I cannot open the GUI if I set
it to my local display.  Do you have any idea of this?

Thanks,
Jinming