Why no /proc/config.gz on FC-3 kernel?

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 01:38:52 UTC 2004

Hi

> Of course one does not _have_ to follow Torvalds,
> and one certainly does not have to say Yes to all kernel options.
>
> However, if you are going to save .config, I don't see any advantage
> in _not_ doing it as suggested by Torvalds (or his team).

Linus trovalds did NOT suggest this. Neither does he have his own
team. there are a good amount of kernel developers who work with him
that includes dave,arjan, alan cox, rick van riel etc who are also
fedora developers. linus has merged an *optional* thing.  he hasnt
suggested one way or the other. neither is he always right nor is his
suggestions always applicable to fedora.

> Personally, I think there are quite a few places
> where Fedora has opted to "go its own way"
> without as far as I can see any very good reason for this.
>
> Admittedly the same is true of other distributions.

you will have to cover this specifically one by one. as far as
configuration stuff stored in /proc, there are no advantages to doing
this nor is this deviating from any standards whatsoever

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram