trying to update to "new" ATI drivers killed X on my FC2

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sun Nov 28 03:18:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 22:34 -0400, Trevor Smith wrote:
> Trevor Smith wrote:
>
> > OK, I saw a note from someone pointing to a blurb on the fedorafaq
> > about how to upgrade to "new" ATI drivers for FC2 (I
>
> Just an additional note: the specific "update" I did was:
>
> yum install ati-fglrx kernel-module-fglrx-`(uname -r)`

Should be able to get rid of them by executing the following as root, or
after "su -":

# rpm -e ati-fglrx  kernel-module-fglrx

Look in /etc/X11 and see if a backup of xorg.conf was created, or
possibly if a new version was created as xorg.conf.rpmnew, leaving the
original in place.  May need to move the backup back to xorg.conf, or
put the new one in place as xorg.conf and try again, without erasing the
new rpms as instructed above.

If still confused, post what you find in the way of /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
files.

Phil