[FC3] Ntp very easy to kill

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Sun Nov 28 12:33:18 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 22:12, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just hit the very same problem. Whenever my server was included in
> pool.ntp.org it died within hours.
>
> After some hours of experimentation and research I think I have found
> this problem to be a combination of
> 1) misconfigured clients using 'peer' instead of 'server'; use 'nopeer'
>    for all client access restrict lines
> 2) ntpd trying to lock itself into memory; compile ntp without
>    HAVE_MLOCKALL
> 3) RLIMIT_MEMLOCK is only 32kB by default; raise with ulimit -l before
>    starting ntpd

    Ah; it sounds like we've been doing some of the same research.
Since we seem to be the two _most_ interested in this, I'll continue
this off-list, and if we slay this particular dragon, I'll put our
findings here so that Google can reach it.

    Thanks!

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller