How to configure CUPS

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Nov 28 14:07:00 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 12:08:22AM +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > I am confused with all this advice. You choose the port, the
> > manufacturer, etc for the printer. I you want to print a pdf file use
> > xpdf, gv, ggv or acroread to display the pdf file and then print it.
>
> You're thinking about:
> existing PDF -> programs -> paper.
>
> The rest of the thread is about:
> existing document *NOT* in PDF format (say, Abiword) -> print system ->
> PDF *instead* of paper.
>
> "Printing" to PDF is close enough to printing to paper that it makes
> sense to use the same mechanisms to produce a PDF.
>
> James.
I just what to be sure I am learning what I think I am learning. Is
what is  being referred to is the possibility that cups can take a document
is some arbitrary format and produce a document in pdf format. Not
print it just produce a pdf file.
THEGODDESSOFTHENETHASTWISTINGFINGERSANDHERVOICEISLIKEAJAVELININTHENIGHTDUDE
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.