overheated laptop

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 28 16:32:44 UTC 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, sly wrote:

> # grep Hz /proc/cpuinfo
> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
> cpu MHz         : 2791.430

Looks like a 'desktop' cpu - not a 'mobile' cpu.

> i've followed the link u gave me, changed 'speedstep-smi' to
> 'p4-clockmod' (which is for p4) not 'peedstep-ich':

Sorry - typo. It was supporsed to be 'speedstep-ich'. But if
your CPU is a desktop cpu - then p4-clockmod is probably the
only thing that works.

> # grep Hz /proc/cpuinfo
> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
> cpu MHz         : 348.921

Woah.. thats a nasty step-down frequency.

> and i see the cpu speed varies now. i'm trying to find out if this will
> influence the temperature. i'll give it a little time.

Let us know how it goes.. Also check if the fan-noice changes.

Satish