registering non-rpm programs?

Scott angrykeyboarder at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 19:30:08 UTC 2004

Gustavo Seabra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running FC3. I have a couple of programs that are not available as
> rpms that I had to install from source. I was just wondering if there
> is a way to register them so that, for example, rpm -q myprogram would
> give correct results. Does anyone has experience with that?
>
> Thanks,

Personally, the only way I knew of was to build your own RPM.  As none
of the repositories seem to want to bother with Thunderbird 0.9 I gave
up and built my own using the instructions @
http://fedoranews.org/tchung/thunderbird/

I plan on using said instructions as a base for building my own RPMs for
other software in the future.

It was surprisingly easy.

Scott