Recent Fedora Core kernels (plus my SPEC file for 2.6.8-1.541 with Athlon support)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 29 00:04:26 UTC 2004

On 11/28/2004 02:42:41 PM, William M. Quarles wrote:

> B. Red Hat developers were saying before that we need more
> optimization for the Pentium 4 because it is obviously not running as
> well on i686 optimizations as it could.  However, I have yet to see a
> Pentium 4 optimized Fedora Core kernel come out.  Perhaps they're
> busy debating about whether to call it pentium4 or i786.

Wouldn't glibc be where you would get the most benefits from
optimization anyway? I'm not convinced you would gain a lot from a
kernel.

btw - a generic kernel can be a real lifesaver. Your cpu or mobo fries,
you can put the hard disk in another machine and boot it - kudzu will
(theoretically, and in my experience it worked) take care of everything
for you as far as change in chiset/nics/whatever, but the kernel has to
be able to boot the box before kudzu can run :)