Very odd: 30 seconds after FC3 boots, d-link firewall locks up & needs reset!

Randy toucan at tropicalrain.us
Mon Nov 29 01:06:48 UTC 2004

Hello,
    I've been noticing something VERY strange with my d-link firewall and
FC3.  Whenever I reboot an FC3 server, about 30 seconds to one minute after
the server has come to the 'log on' screen, the firewall begins to send out
massive amounts of broadcasts to my entire home network, bringing
everything to a standstill.  The firewall floods my entire 100Mbps network
with enough broadcast traffic that almost no packets can get anywhere.

    This is a standard FC3 install to an empty disc, not an upgrade.

    The firewall is a d-link di-804hv with firmware version 1.4 (the most
recent).  VPN services are turned off (VPN passthru is on).  universal plug
& play is turned off.  The firewall has a fixed address on the internal
network.  It doesn't need to access any internal servers for anything.

    Has anyone seen anything like this?  The first time it happened, I
thought someone had hacked my firewall, so I re-flashed it and
re-configured it.  But now I've noticed that EVERY time I reboot an FC3
server, I can expect this to happen.

Randy